Saturday, May 2, 2009

The past 3 weeks...

Posted in by Dustin and Beth | Edit
I have had many people ask about Steven and what happened. I should have made that the first entry, but did not...sorry. About three weeks ago, Steven began to have a leg cramp as they were going to bed. When he stood up to "walk it out", he began to have an intense seizure. He was taken to the hospital, and found out that he had a tumor in his brain that was in a very difficult spot to operate on. He stayed in the hospital a couple of nights to regulate his seizure medicine (he had a few more at the hospital). After that, he went home and began working some. He couldn't drive or be alone, so someone was constantly around him (I'm sure for those of you who know Steven well, it drove him nuts that he couldn't drive!!) He had a biopsy two weeks after the first seizure (last Wednesday). The biopsy went well, and he went home the next day. On Saturday, he began to get sick and was taken back to the hospital. They found a blood clot and decided to keep him in ICU to watch it. This past Tuesday, Steven really began to struggle. He became non responsive so they did an emergency surgery to remove the clot. The surgery went well, but after that, Steven had a few strokes that has damaged parts of his brain. They put him back on the ventilator and he is in a coma. His brain was beginning to swell some when I left the hospital tonight, and his fever had been fluctuating throughout the day. I apologize for not giving more details earlier. Michelle has been reading to Steven all the cards that everyone has sent. One of the nurses told Michelle tonight that in all of her career, she had never seen as many visitors as Steven has had today! I hope I have given a clearer picture of what has happened over the last couple of weeks...and I hope it is accurate (Michelle...please correct me if I am wrong with anything!) Also, please notice on the comments that the head coach from Ole Miss wrote Steven! I thought that was very nice! I'll continue to update you when I know more....
Thanks, Beth

5 Comments


  1. Anonymous

    Beth - thank you for the update. I worked with Steven at Allstates Technical several years ago.

    I've been keeping Steven in my thoughts since I heard about what happened. I do know for a fact that miracles can happen in these situations and will be praying for one to happen here.

    Lyn

    May 2, 2009 at 5:23 AM

  2. Anonymous

    Thanks so much for starting this site so that we can keep up & know specifically what to pray for. The last thing we want to do is bother Michelle with phone calls. We were there yesterday & it was a true testiment to Steven & Michelle that so many people came to give their love, support, & prayers. It was comforting to see. We love them so much & are praying continually as I know so many others are.
    Thanks, Brandt & Sharry Tucker

    May 2, 2009 at 7:39 AM

  3. Don and Jamie Walker

    Steven and Michelle:
    You and your lovely family are in Jamie and my prayers always. We remember your visits to Trenton and look forward to seeing you again. I am thankful for this site and Rhonda for keeping us posted on your situation.
    Please feel the love and concern that all at the Trenton church of Christ feel for you!
    In Christ's Love,
    Don and Jamie Walker
    Trenton, GA

    May 2, 2009 at 9:40 AM

  4. Michelle says:

    Michelle,
    I was at Bekare today to teach gymnastics, and heard about the loss of your husband. I am so sorry. Christina told me that he was a Godly man, which gave me peace that he had gone home to be with the Lord. I hope that God will wrap his arms around you and comfort you in the days to come. Although I did not know Steven, I remember Pierce saying things about him in gymnastics class. I will pray for God to grant you peace and strength. I know you are a strong woman, and with time God will heal your pain and loss. (Read Hebrews 4:16)

    In His Grip,
    Michelle Dent
    Flip Factor Gymnastics

    May 8, 2009 at 5:25 PM

  5. Unknown says:

    Michelle,
    I just received an e-mail from your Mother about your husband. We are so sorry to hear about your tremendous loss. We want you to know that we will be praying for you and your children in the days to come. Just remember, God will not bring you to anything that He cannot bring you through.
    Love,
    Dink and Brenda Gilreath

    May 9, 2009 at 10:33 AM